Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Urinary Issues in Older Male Lab

Has your Veterinarian done a rectal exam to check his prostate? Also another suggestion would be to have your veterinarian do an abdominal x-ray to check for bladder stones or masses. Just a thought....Good luck with your old fellow.

Having the same problem. Have had bloodwork done twice in the past year, an ulrasound & xrays. Can't find anything wrongexcept white count is slightly elevated. Don't think its behavioral, lets me know when he has to go & at times it takes a good minute, sometimes 2 to finish. Been on a course of clavamox twice. Vet says his urine is very dilute. Just try not to leave him alone more than an hour or so. Crate him when I am gone and if more than a couple hours he is crying to get out when I get home.
He was neutered 4 years ago.

He's not going to 'build his retention' if he has an undiagnosed problem and dilute urine! Yes, old dogs can get 'soft' and bladder pressure not always felt to empty completely. My old boy has some mind issues now and I encourage him to empty by putting him where other dogs have peed, especially those girls.
Have you had a cystocentesis urine sample cultured for proper antibiotic if needed? One week amoxicillin is not going to help a persistant UTI. Neither is a free catch sample going to be accurate from a boy.
Check prostate, do regular bloodwork to monitor kidney and liver changes. Ultrasound?
May be early Cushings or 'Cushingoid' symptoms. You can ACTH stimulation test for adrenal function. Adrenal tumor?
Yes, there is behavioural water drinking, but usually starts because of physical problem in the first place!
I also had a young dog with allergy and inflammation who drank buckets and peed frequently because dilute.
Try a second opinion, be proactive and help him be more comfortable.

check prostate. Also diabetes…if they drink a lot of water it could be that