Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Potomac Winners???

Newbie wondering Romeo Lover
Has Romeo ever shown in the states? How often do Westminster winners go over seas to Crufts (Salty Dog being the only one I can think of). If I were to show and had a big winner, I would want to see how he/she did elsewhere. It seems once a dog/bitch wins the big shows the fade away, Rarely seen winning big consecutive years, are they not shown again? Romeo as an example was shown again at Crufts and did well a second time. Also, If a dog/bitch wins a big show like Crufts, Westminster or has repeated wins like Romeo did, does that dog throw offspring with equal balance and quality? Isn't that what you want, not just a dog who wins, but a dog who reproduces itself well? Just wondering, how does Romeo reproduce. For example, in horses, I can only think of Secretariat, a great horse, but really didn't reproduce himself well. Thanks.

Let's not forget the lovely bitch Windy that not only was BISS at the Potomac a few years ago, but was also Best of Breed at Westminster that year and made the cut in the group I believe. She went to the UK and made up her English Show Championship quite quickly. Definitely not an over done bitch but winning in both the US and the UK and fit as could be. She also hunts. I was standing next to the judge who did dogs that year, Richard Edwards, a renowned UK judge who just raved about her. So not every specialty winner is over done or outside the standard. There are plenty, but a good judge will go for moderation and not be swayed by the bigger is better route.