Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Screening families question

I always go with my gut. If something feels wrong, I move the family along gently. If they're meant to have a puppy, another breeder will work with them eventually.

I prefer waiting until the potential buyer has gone through enough grieving time before I let them have a puppy. Each person needs a different amount of time but I won't place a pup very soon after a loss.

Jmo.

Maybe she was researching the going price for a new pup and it took a bit longer to determine the going rate. It had been quite a while since she bought one so she wanted to check things out.

As someone who does a fair bit of rescue work along with having the Labs, here's a recent story that may help.

I just placed the last of 2 puppies from a stray momma. The little boy went to a young family in the area and I am thrilled with that placement. But the inquiries for the little girl were just not good. Impulse calls, families where people weren't going to be home during the day, Christmas present calls etc...

Then we got a call from a couple with grown children who had just lost a beloved 12 year old dog to cancer. My initial reaction was to gently talk them out of it. But the home that this puppy would have made me think about it some more. They were experienced dog people, the whole family(siblings, parents etc) were all dog people, they lived right on the water in Charleston and when they drove 3 hours for their initial meeting with the puppy, they fell in love with her, and she with them.

We all spoke very openly about the possibility that this puppy was just temporarily going to fill a painful hole in the family's heart. So we agreed that I would hold the puppy for a month and they would come get her if they still wanted a puppy.

I sent pictures periodically, got the puppy on our big dog schedule, using a crate etc. We practiced a bit on the leash, she was comfortable in the car and she was learning to come when called and to not jump up, bite etc.

Well, they did pick her up, had her at their home for a couple of weeks before the family went 7 hours to visit for Christmas. She was good in the car on the trip, got there and the whole family adored her, woke up Christmas morning to piles of gifts from everyone, had a great week meeting her extended family and now is back home enjoying her new life!!

So my point is that even though this family of yours is grieving, as we all do, most people have room in their hearts for another. And maybe if you keep the lines of communication open with this family, they too will be a wonderful home for one of your puppies.

Good luck!!

What a lovely story of kindness and patience. You made my day. Kate

Thanks for sharing "rescue Mom". Wonderful placement for all involved!

JMO, there's just no painting these situations of placing a puppy with someone having just lost their dog with broad sweeping strokes. I have found though that several of the prospective homes having lost an elderly pet have revolved their last few years around taking care of the ailing elderly pet, generally find those are the ones who have given themselves more time before entering into their search for a new puppy. I dunno, I kinda think they might take an "emotional" break and maybe needed more time for soul searching before making the decision whether they were ready and able to put their heart back out there.

I know when I lost my two personal horses, one I had from 4 years old until 37 years old, and her son from a foal until 31 years old (combined with losing them within 2 years of each other) I could not entertain the idea of getting another horse for at least a year. Part of it was emotional, part was I wanted to see what life would be like not having to be tied to the strict schedule involved taking care of horses which I'd been doing for near 40 years! LOL Came to the conclusion I couldn't live without my own horse.

I guess my point is, sometimes might consider the person inquiring has some intelligence and emotional stability to determine when they are ready to start thinking about adding the new puppy to their family. Breeders (or rescues) having screened homes for years, knowing what's worked out and what hasn't, probably know the right questions to ask to hopefully get to the point of making a good call on the placement and take each case on an individual basis.

I agree, those that grieve over their lost pets turn out to be the most loving and caring homes.

Her first dog meant so much to her and I bet she thought by sharing how wonderful and perfect her lab had been was the best way to show you how much she would care and love your puppy.

Dont overlook those that care deeply.

labbies
I agree, those that grieve over their lost pets turn out to be the most loving and caring homes.

Her first dog meant so much to her and I bet she thought by sharing how wonderful and perfect her lab had been was the best way to show you how much she would care and love your puppy.

Dont overlook those that care deeply.

I agree. I have had many folks talk to me at length about their dogs they have lost. In this busy world there aren't many people who you can tell about the love you have lost when that love is an animal. Should you lose a human family member through death everyone is sympathetic and understands. When the avaerage person loses a pet sometimes they might not have a bunch of dog loving friends like we all do :) I just keep listening and I can learn all I want from them about their lifestyle and personality.