Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Show puppy prices

Just wondering what the vast majority of breeders sell their show potential pups for?
I have sold mine for the same as a pet puppy with a co own.
I know we all have deals we make with friends and other breeders but just trying to gauge what the going price is in the Midwest is for a potential pup?

Re: Show puppy prices

I know of well known breeders who place their show prospects with only people they personally know and do not charge a dime. I know of well known breeders who charge $3,000 and up and offer no health guarantee for show prospects. I have heard of breeders who charge $4,000 on co-own and want 2 pups per litter back and to pick the stud dogs.

I personally do not have room to run on multiple show potential pups so I prefer to place pups on co-owns with breeders I know well at no charge and get a puppy or two back. That way if my show prospect does not work out I have another option. I would much rather loose the money I would get selling that puppy as a pet to know a nice pup with potential will be given a chance.

I charge the same price for my show puppies as my pet puppies with a co-own on some. I feel all of my puppies are worth the same whether they are for show or pet. If I don't know they buyer very well I do the co-own, but have found it really doesn't make any difference if the person "never" shows the puppy. If the puppy does not work out and becomes pet quality then there is no big issues and the people are happy with their pet. If the puppy works out and becomes a champion then good for all involved and me too as the breeder. If I charge a higher price for show potential then suddenly the expections from the buyer becomes much higher. I have learned that some puppy buyers have gotten smart and have figured out if they ask for a show puppy from a breeder they know they will get a top pick yet they never really intent to show they just want the nicest puppy from the litter. Good luck!

I charge the same price no matter what 'type' of puppy the buyer is getting. Actually, there are so few I trust with a show potential pup many of my possible show pups that I don't keep do wind up in pet homes.

If the show home has 18 dogs and all are kenneled then what type of life will my puppy have? Also, do we really have that many show pups in each litter. I consider myself lucky to have 1, tops 2 possible show pups from each litter. Somdimes the pup I don't like at 7 to 8 weeks turns out to be the best pup in the litter. I don't run on half the litter and truly believe sometimes you.can't tell the best pup until age 2 to 3.

Breeder
Just wondering what the vast majority of breeders sell their show potential pups for?
I have sold mine for the same as a pet puppy with a co own.
I know we all have deals we make with friends and other breeders but just trying to gauge what the going price is in the Midwest is for a potential pup?

In the last 2 years, I have purchased 2 "show" pups from other breeders who are also Midwest like me (and you). 1 breeder sold pup for $1,400 where pet pups went for $1250; other sold pup for $1200 where pet type pups went for $850. The $1400 has turned out to be a pretty good show dog, not quite enough head on her yet but it might still come. Not sure we'll finish in the end, but doing OK at 2 yo. The other lacks coat and proper back end angles. However, I also show performance and she's terrific there. I'm hanging on to her as I like her temperament, head, and bone. Both pups have been out with us, handler, and have even shown 4-H. My children have put performance titles on them. Pups are well loved and having fun.

Sometimes I feel a little "taken" by the pup which did not turn out so well, but that was my choice. The breeder offered deposit money back if we did not like her when I came to pick her up. She's well loved and her temperament and trainibility are outstanding.

Thought our experience and what we paid might help you in some way.

I think breeders are not only placing a potential "show" dog when they sell one, but their whole kennel reputation is on the line in a way if new owner breeds carelessly producing something awful conformationally or if they turn into a "puppy mill" type of breeder. Of course stud owners deal with the same issues.

As a person who has been on the lookout for a hopeful pup going back to my own lines, I can say what turns me off as a potential puppy buyer for a show pospect pup. I am down to one bitch from my lines, who I do not plan to breed from. I have never kept many dogs and have given away or practically given away show prospects to friends in the past. I have never sold a show prospect for more than a pet pup, because as we all know the genes are the same pet or show and Show breeders risk a lot more than $$$ when a show prospect is involved. We put our hearts, soul, and time into bonding with, training, and showing our next hopeful.
I am shock at the number of people who do charge extra for a show prospect pup and that has turned me off almost completely to the hopes of getting back into my own lines. Thankfully I am on a waiting list now for a litter from a friend. The hopeful pups would be grand pups to my Slick, Great grands to my Mojo, and Great Great Grandpups to my Codey. My fingers are crossed that we do get that next wonderful show pup from that breeding, but more importantly that we will get the opportunity to add another special boy to the family.

I will be shopping for a new bitch in a few years, and I hope that I don't run into breeders who want to gouge the good show homes by upping the prices on their "show" pups. My original bitch was a wonderful introduction into showing and breeding. I have offspring from her but it's not what I need for developing the future/my own lines. But I know that even the best pup can end up not being that show star so I don't think it's fair to charge more. The non-show pup could end up being the best producer vs. the show star that may not product well at all. I think people need to be fair. I understand that costs for breeding are rising and I expect to pay for my new pup and it may be more than what I have charged ifor pups...but I think a pet pup should cost the same as a show pup as the same genetics and love/care went into raising the pups. If a breeder is concerned about selling a show pup to someone than either get references or don't sell the pup. Simple as that. An extra $500 in your pocket isn't going to make a potential show home any more reputable.

$1800 + 1 puppy back + Co-own + 26 month for hips and elbows.

I think anything in excess of $1800.00 and a co own is really gouging ....period!
OR taking advantage of a newbie!!!!

Well this is what I did. First "buyer" has 3 of my dogs and hasn't paid for any of them. Two are now CH the 3rd is on his way to his title. 2nd buyer paid $1500 at 9 weeks with a contarct to say no breeding until hips and elbows are are done, when these were done and he was very sound there was another payment to me at that time of $1000, this dog too is a CH. He has produced 2 litters so far for his owner (11 then 9 I think)at $1000 she is selling the puppies for I think he has well an truely paid for himself.
I don't beleive in "co-owns" as these can become very stained at time. Yes I would replace any pup that did not live up to expectations and I would only sell a show puppy if I was happy with that puppy.

If a breeder / person I knew well approached me about a show prospect pup, depending on the person, the amount of exposure I knew the pup/dog would get, the way it would be handled, and going to a good home where it would not be one in a cast of thousands .... I would be very tempted to offer that pup at no cost. The benefit to me as a breeder of having that pup from my kennel out and shown at the important venues would be worth far more to my breeding program than the 1,000.00 or so that I would make selling it ...

The Big Picture ...
If a breeder / person I knew well approached me about a show prospect pup, depending on the person, the amount of exposure I knew the pup/dog would get, the way it would be handled, and going to a good home where it would not be one in a cast of thousands .... I would be very tempted to offer that pup at no cost. The benefit to me as a breeder of having that pup from my kennel out and shown at the important venues would be worth far more to my breeding program than the 1,000.00 or so that I would make selling it ...

You make sense & I feel the same to a degree. It would depend on if I knew and trusted the breeder to do some showing at the least and most of all to take exemplary care of the pup. I would never work with a breeder that kennels their dogs full-time or crates them in a basement always when indoors. My dogs that are shown are family members. No one has to agree with me but if they have many dogs that don't get the love my dogs do then I won't work with them. Same with a pet buyer, no basement or garage dogs and I do as much checking as possible.

With any buyer, be it a pet or show home buyer, I want committment shown by that person. Paying some sort of fee does show it usually. Sometimes, when a buyer pays nothing, they're not as committed. Many are but not all.

Your idea is good food for thought, overall a great idea especially at $1,000 a pup. Alot of breeders are too hungry for money though, of any amount to even consider what you suggested. Sort of sad isn't it?