school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5
Author
Comment
Re: Dunno how long I can go on

Well guys I had the meeting and my son's doctor's recognised there is a problem based around school that makes him anxious but ruled out any medical diagnosis such as aspergers asd, or autism. He will be writing to the schools and agencies involved. Whilst we are so relieved we worry that help will not be forthcoming as their isnt a statement. I mentioned this group several times and also SR to see what the doctor thought, he didnt really say much about it to be fair. So now we start again getting him to school hopeful for some understanding. He's openly relieved too, saying he knew he was okay, just needed someone to listen.

Thanks everyone for your support. Btw I wrote the original article on a very bad day but believe me I'm in it for the long haul, my son needs me and no matter how hard it gets I'll be here for him.

Tracey.

Tracey

So glad you managed to get some sort of diagnosis. I hope you get some more help from all concerned. Don't worry about writing the original on a bad day, we have all had such days and no doubt will have some more. I have found reading everybody's posts really helpful, I just wish there could be a more coordinated response for children in this position.

Anne

Its difficult isnt it...we dont want our children labelled with a condition but without it we fear lack of help and understanding. Why does being able to put a name to it make it easier for some to comprehend?? Why do they have to be on the spectrum etc, why can't it just be that they have a genuine fear, a nervous disposition etc etc, why does it have to be a syndrome or a disorder, what happened to personality and nature. Todays society wants everything to have its little label and to fit into their little boxes so they are comfortable with it. Well my child for one isnt getting a label, he is his own person and with any help i can give or get he will develop into who he is meant to be, with or without school. Education is anywhere and everywhere not just the classroom and I wish all on this forum the strength and courage to support their children through these difficult times. Sorry just thats a bit of a rant. XXXXX

Sue I agree entirely. I think I put words to that effect somewhere along the line too. I think our society and schools which reflect the current society just have no room for differences. We are becoming a society where we only want one kind of personality from our kids. With too many labels - we start to say 'oh ....that kid has autism' rather than 'that kid has a different way of doing things'. It tends to dismiss the individual personality as non existent. Then again - a label has helped people accept my son's SR - before that the school thought he was just naughty or 'giving me a hard time.'

And Tracey - glad you are relieved re the doctor's meeting. You know your son best - so your instinct was right. What worries me is that anyone would suggest there might be a label such as those you mentioned even considered and as for a special school......what on earth were they thinking!! Your son probably has anxiety like the rest of our kids. We don't know why - but that seems to no longer be the issue as we just try and do our best to get them there.
Linda

Sue

Thank you for your rant...................you are so right, I'M proud of my boy for what he has acheived, maybe its not what we had dreamed or hoped for him, but he is a well behaved, considerate, thoughtful, lovable hard working boy who is struggling to understand what is happening to him, he never made it in to his tuition today and has spent a good part of the evening saying sorry to me, I feel so bad because I wasn't as understanding as I should have been, but as I have said before, I would go to the ends of the earth for both my children, and I will always give him as much support as he needs. Sometimes we just need to be reminded how special our children are, so thanks again for reminding me.

Take care
Dorothy x

Hiya, its been a while since I wrote the original message i've had no internet for ages. As the hols are coming to an end I don't know what I'm going to do. My son still isnt going to school and he still doesnt want to. Such as shame, everything as come to a standstill with school being awkward and saying he needs to go to a special school. We had a docs diagnosis who said he had school related anxieties only and no formal diagnosis was given. Although in the report the doc put that my son and I had expressed a wish to go to a special school when it was totally the opposite, both he and I said NO WAY did he want to go to one. Anyone got any ideas on what I can do now as prosecution looks likely now as they think I'm not trying. My son has turned into the most fantastic child without the threat of school and is getting along with his sister well, such a shame to upset this balance, but I know I need to give him an education. xx

Hi Tracey,

Good luck. Sorry I have no practical info to give as I am not yet in your situation. Others might have more advice. I have probably asked if you have tried CBT yet?
Its not easy - but remember you are not the only one going through this - so keep up your strength and use the advice and information given here if a prosecution does loom again.
All the best,
Linda

Tracey,

I wonder what sort of 'special school' is being suggested? We were delighted when we were given the opportunity for our daughter to go to a special unit. She met teachers who had time for her, who cared for her and who supported her - as an individual. I am not pretending it was all rosy and went well. It didn't. But it helped. It was a step in the right direction for her.

We did not get her back into mainstream schooling, but we got her back into education.

How are you holding up? This all sounds very stressful for you. Have you got support for yourself? I think all schools only have a tree day week this week, so hopefully that will be easier to manage?

As Simon asked - wHat do you mean by special school ?? do you mean a pupil referal unit ? If it is please please go and have a look and a chat to the teachers there. When this was first suggested to me i was horrified at the thought but how wrong was I ! very ! My son will never in a million years go any where near the school again but the unit have been fantastic. The tutor educates my son at home 3 days a week and as from next week he will start and integrate into the unit - one to one to start with as he is doing quite well with his GCSE'S.

Are you seeing CAMHS ? have you had a CAF meeting arranged for you ? do you have a parent support worker at school ( our's is fab ) and what have education welfare said ?

I think at one time or another we have all been under the "we might get prosecuted" umbrella and it is a frightening thought, but we have all come through it and you will too.

Hang in there, they know you are doing your best and not sure what else they expect you to do - oh yes make him go to school - apologies for the sarcasm.

Take care

Sarah xx

Hi all, I was the original author of the message.

Just an update, things no better this end. My son still not going to school and his school haven't really tried to engage hime or support him. He and I feel totally let down.

Basically this week the ed social worker rang to say school are not prepared to try anymore and I must get him in or de-register him to avoid prosecution. Been backed into a corner.

Looked into alternate provision and now school have said they won't fund it. Nor will the LEA, so basically its go home and get on with it. Parent Partnership are involved but their hands are tied and they can't make school co-operate. One things for sure he NEVER wants to go back there and I don't blame him. They have totally let him down and I feel I have too. So no other choice but to try and home educate but I don't know how i'm going to do that. He has had so long without schooling that he won't do anything, just gotta try persevering but worried for my child who is quiet and won't go out because of school worries.

I'm ill with stress migraines and my arthritis has flared up so life is a daily struggle at present. I just don't know why I never got the help I asked for since year 7, (he's year 9 now). Hope things have improved for some of you on this site. xxxx

Requiring you to de-register sounds like the authorities trying to bring their responsibilities to an end. I know nothing about the legalities of this, but my instinct would be to refuse and tell them to bring on the threat of prosecution. It will be your chance to get them to sit up and take notice, and maybe threaten legal action for them failing to provide adequate/appropriate educational provision for your child.
Or am I over-reacting?

Hi tracey,

My heart goes out to you. I remember it well, when no one would help.

I understand what Simon says, but if you are anything like me, you wont want to rock the boat. I would always stand firm in my opinions but I would always back away from taking on the professionals head-on. Others on here have done, and I'm sure they are better to advise you.

Ive just Googled, Home Education Advisory Service and they had some information on there as to how to go about Home Educating. Maybe try them and see if they can advise you in any way.

Good luck whatever you decide, you'll get lots of support on here.

Take care.

Sue and M. x

wowowoowowoowoowwooow - what ?? Right Tracey first of all what has your GP said ? are you under CAMHS ? is there any diagnosis of any kind ? What have Parent Partnership advised you to do ? I feel the school are just trying to push the burden on you and you have not let your son down. I am so so cross about this. May i suggest you call your local MP and ask him/her what can be done because the system is letting your family down - oooh sorry im really really angry. Are there any tuition centres he can go to ?? Tracey you may have mentioned this before - what county you in ??

Please let me know the above and i will do my best to help - i need to calm down because this has made my blood boil.

Take care and try and keep your chin up.

Sarah xx

Hi Tracey,

I do feel for you - this is so stressful for you when you don't get the help. Knowing how hard it can be to keep fighting - if you are finding everything just too much and I certainly know how migraines feel - then do look at the Home Education. It might give you some time to then look around at other alternatives?
On the other hand - what the others have said - especially Sarah re CAHMS and diagnosis etc. The school have totally wiped their responsibility from you by asking you to deregister. But I can understand not only your son not wanting to go back there but also you no longer wanting to deal with them.
There is a couple of posts recently about Home Education - and those who have gone down this road - perhaps you can get in touch with them or ask via the forum for some further direction or help. I know here we also have support groups for Home Education in various regions. If you do have that kind of thing in the UK - even if it is not in your region - I am sure they would be more than happy to hear from you and where on earth to start with all this.
The UK Home Education site does give some links too which will help you know where to start. Your son might be reluctant at first - but if he has the pressure taken off him re your stress in getting him to school and his guilt - then he might just be ok to sit down and do some work. I would start with revision anyway - just go over some writing skills and some maths to start with.
Keep in touch with us and we will help in any way we can.
Linda

hi again Tracey. These might help if you do want to go down this path. Joining with a local support group will also give your son the chance to meet others - which you are probably concerned about if he is quiet and doesn't like to go out. It might be just enough social contact to help him relate to others.
This might give you some time to then perhaps look at other school alternatives and make enquiries regarding their support later be able to start at a new school? Some on this forum have done this. Meanwhile - if you can afford it - have you thought of finding a psychologist who he can work with (someone who is used to working with kids and also does Cognitive Behaviour Therapy)?
Linda

http://home-ed.info/home_ed_articles/support_groups.htm

http://home-ed.info/local_groups.html

http://www.education-otherwise.org/

http://www.freedom-in-education.co.uk/home%20ed/home_ed_links.htm

Hi all,

thanks for all the support this site is the only thing keeping me going at the moment.

To Linda, met with cahms and after a long haul got a formal report saying my son had no formal diagnosis but just massive levels of anxiety relating to school. We thought this would be enough to get the help he so needed to reintegrate him but no, school had a meeting where to me seemed to be covering their backs, quickly filling out paperwork and putting a part time time table in place. They talked the talk about all the strategies they were going to use, but after an absolute morning from hell getting him there, failed to engage him and because he was anxious, made him sit in the office til home time. I rang in, in tear and was told, 'well this is why we think he'd be better of in a special school' no support or guidance given.!! He made it in again two days later and had been moved from the class he was comfortable in and had never met the teacher so again he was reluctant to go to lesson. No support given!! They telephone me to say its not working. I asked why my son was not being sent to the learning support centre as had been agreed and was told, after much uncomfortable silence, that it didnt actually exist anymore, it was being used for something else.!! All this made my son more and more reluctant to attend, saying it wasnt worth it to just sit in the office then be dismissed. He said he always felt a nuisance there and wasnt welcome. I began to feel the same, dreading phoning them and almost being ticked off for not getting him in. I indeed broke down in tears on many occasions and could see that the school were judging me to be a bad parent. This isnt the case, I have just reached my limit, with the endless meetings, stress, doing a TA course and the endless struggle with money also. I am definetely going to complain. To who I don't know but I have been asking for help since he was in year 7 and he's now in year 9!!! All the empty promises never materialised and now as he's missed so much is simply unable to catch up or cope. The stress on the family has been immense and there are times when I've wanted to run away from it all. I won't because I owe it to my son to be there for him. In year 8 they were going to refer us to CAHMS, we waited and waited and then had a meeting to see what the delay was and they hadnt even referred him!!!!! Six months later they finally did without saying why they had not done so before. The wait the CAHMS was almost 6 months and apart from listening to my child nothing good came from it. He saw a psychologist at school and he said my son had extremly high levels of anxiety almost as much as a person afraid of snakes being made to touch one every day. Unfortunately he left the school. They threatened to send social workers round way back in 2010, they never came. One is now finally on board, although i've only met her once at school and she is horrible. So unprofessional, saying that I should be looking closer to home instead of blaming school. Making me feel so uncomfortable and guilty. I believe that the school had FAILED my child and are now back dating all the paperwork to make it look like they did their jobs when clearly they didn.t They have refused to fund alternative provision for him so I have no other choice. I have received two phone calls this week asking do i want to deregister him!! Or they would start prosecution proceedings. What choice do I have, although one things for certain I am not going to be bullied over the phone to make a decision about my son that affects his whole future. Simply put they want rid of us, and we them but I also want to make sure that no other family goes through what we have. I am going to write to the head, as am convinced he knows nothing of all this. Indeed we had an IEP through the post this week from the SEN department saying they wished my son continued success this term and hopes he continues to work hard!!!! What the bloody hell, he has only been about 11 times this school year. It listed three strategies that they are putting in place, which they have NEVER actually done. I believe they are covering their backs as I have never even seen an IEP until this week even though the difficulties have been there since year 7 (he's year 9 now). Basically she's given me until friday to make a decision but what I really feel like doing is telling her to shove it when she rings! (I won't) I am so angry because now I have a teenager on my hands who has been out so long he refuses to do anything, he is simply existing. How I am ever going to homeschool him I don't know. Job centre are on my back to get a job, how on earth can I with all this going on? Even the so called special school that they kept suggesting won't take him because he is not statemented. All he needed was patience, understanding and strategies to engage him but now I feel it is too late. Thanks to everyone who has responded. Your support means a lot. And no sadly I cannot afford CBT or a private psychologist. We are living in poverty and my efforts to get us out, doing the course, have been long and hard and are faced with the struggles of my son's education. My doctor said as my son said he felt fine, he could not help. Stuck between a rock and a hard place not really knowing what to do next.

Oh yeah,I'm in West Midlands :)

Tracey - i am just so angry and feel so so sorry for you. Have you spoken to parent partnership ? I would also advise you to speak with your MP as soon as possible - is it the school or education welfare threatening you ? You must must call the head because if he if doesn't know about the situation he may be able to help. Its half term next week so maybe you could stall them for another week until you get yourself sorted ? This is one of the worst stories i have come across. When you speak to the school and ask for help why dont you say that other schools have helped families in the same situation to see if that helps. Oh just thought - Ask them to put in writing that they are not going too offer support and that they will prosecute if you dont de-register him - you have evidence then.

Good luck

Sar xx We are not that far away Staffordshire

Hi all - im sorry about ranting with on about Tracey's posts, but this has made me so angry and i feel so so sorry for her - as we all do. It is so easy to look "outside the box" when you are not emotionally attached to the situation. We have all at one time and another felt "bullied" but this really is taking it the extra mile.

Tracey we are all behind you, and if you want my number to give me a call anytime I am more than happy to e-mail it to you.

Take care

Sar xx

To Sarah and everyone on here it helps so much that you support me, felt like no-one cared. Now I know they do. We will plod on and see what happens. Thanks goodness its half term next week, dont have to think about schooling.

Thanks again all xxx

1 2 3 4 5