school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
a
Andrea
And so the saga continues....
Hi guys, I haven't posted in a while, and reading through some of the posts on here has had me in tears, as the experiences are all so similar. I don't know what to do next - after a year of non-attendance, and no provision of home tuition despite my lengthy battle w...
Views: 154   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 27, 2012 7:54pm
by Linda
s
sophy
Internet School
Hi, Does anyone have any experience with Internet schools? I have heard some good things and am thinking about it for my son whilst we decide what our next step is... Sophy
Views: 139   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 27, 2012 12:33pm
by Sophy
s
Sarah
Back to school !!
Well, i have thought long and hard and have decided not to make my son go into school tomorrow for an exam. For several nights we have survived on very little sleep because he is so frightened about going back into school tomorrow. It was so bad on Saturday night t...
Views: 130   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jan 27, 2012 9:31am
by Linda
l
Linda
What to include in feature article?
HI everyone, I have been asked to contribute to a feature article on SR in a major Australian newspaper. (I received an email to a letter I wrote to the paper at the beginning of last year when they featured an article about how some kids get very nervous before th...
Views: 95   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 25, 2012 9:59pm
by Sarah
c
Carrie
Hospitalisation - scary subject!
Hi all After so much wonderful support from my first post yesterday, I wonder if anyone has had any experience of their child going into a mental hospital, day or stay, through CAMHS? CAMHS are saying that if my daughter doesn't improve within a week, she will have...
Views: 161   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 23, 2012 9:43am
by Carrie
c
Carrie
Help!!
Hi all, I've just found this website, am really not sure why I didn't search for 'school refuser' before! My daughter was bullied at school by her so called best friends last year, they went on to turn the whole year group against her. The school were useless and w...
Views: 195   Replies: 12
Last Post: Jan 23, 2012 9:30am
by Carrie
Distressed
Hello All Like some of the others I never even thought about searching for school refusal.So glad to have found this site. We have been coping for several years now with a child who has extreme school phobia and still have not managed to get a full day or weeks atten...
Views: 130   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jan 22, 2012 7:50pm
by Linda
s
Sophy
A new chapter
Hello everyone, Haven't been on the site for a few days as have just felt so overwhelmed. So 2 days ago I deregistered my son from his school. He hasn't been able to reach any of his targets since xmas and he said to me that he just can't cope with the stress and...
Views: 122   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 21, 2012 8:47pm
by Linda
new year
Sarah only just catching up after the holidays, sorry to hear that your having such a bad time, it's awful when things fall apart, it's so much harder to pick yourself up when things have been going well, try and hang on in there, you know things will get better aga...
Views: 143   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jan 19, 2012 7:30am
by Sarah
s
Sophy
Interesting article
Hi, This was in the guardian last week http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/jan/13/jenn-ashworth-refusing-to-go-to-school?INTCMP=SRCH From another school refuser... sophy
Views: 154   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jan 18, 2012 1:22pm
by lindy
Not So Wits End
What helped is stepping back as a parent,stopping trying to understand and explaining the facts. Allowing my daughter to explore what is going on for her.She genuinly has no idea why she does not want to be at school she is honest about that. I have got her a book ab...
Views: 132   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 15, 2012 10:57pm
by Linda
Wits End
My daughter has hated school since infants,I havedropped her off with out shoes,in her night cloths with her uniform in juniors. Then from July last year she has been getting more challenging about going to school. She has been at secondary school from 2009. Since se...
Views: 192   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 15, 2012 2:36pm
by jocelyn Dodgson
s
Sarah
Bad start to the final year
Well, we haven't had the best start to the year. Had a great Christmas and New Year and i actually thought this is it, the last fence and we are on the home run - NOT !! I had nearly 2 weeks off over the Christmas break, only having to pop into the office for the od...
Views: 386   Replies: 32
Last Post: Jan 13, 2012 9:48pm
by lindy
Do your SR s go out at all?
my daughter doesnt go anywhere - struggles to get out in the car to drive round the block
Views: 177   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 11, 2012 9:10pm
by lindy
a lot depends on monday
after CAMHS Intensive Treatment Service working with us since novemebr - the plan is a visit to school on monday a lot depends on this happening - if we manage and then the support worker can get her in for a bit every day - the potential hearing will be put on hold...
Views: 161   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jan 10, 2012 1:52pm
by Grace
g
Grace
School Refusal
Finally a site where people understand what SR is. My daughter will be 10 in a few months. Last March after being home for a week with Strep throat she started to refuse to go to school. She had been bullied in 2nd and part of third grade. She is now in fourth gr...
Views: 246   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jan 10, 2012 10:32am
by jezebel
s
Sarah
Happy New Year
Wishing all my friends on here a very Happy New Year, may it bring help and consideration for our special children, and support to us as parents. What ever the year brings i will still have you lovely people for support and for that i am very grateful. Sarah xx
Views: 103   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 9, 2012 5:07pm
by simon
good news
Hi everyone Sorry it's taken so long to post, I didn't want to say anything until it happened, my boy started work today! it is a work placement organised by career's scotland, it's for 13 weeks but can be extended, it is in a local co op, and hopefully it will buil...
Views: 148   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jan 9, 2012 5:05pm
by simon
l
lindy
Daybreak
Hi all, Did anyone else catch the short interview on Daybreak this morning with a mum and son about school phobia. It is good to hear that it is being highlighted in this way......a little more understanding out there is always welcome! Take care, love Lindy x
Views: 114   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 3, 2012 2:47pm
by Sarah
s
Sasha
home tutored school refusers
In the UK once a child (person under 16) has missed 5 consecutive weeks of school they are entitled to home tuition of 6 hrs per week by a quailfied teacher, paid for by by the local education authority. (The number of weeks and hours of entitlement may vary by area)...
Views: 232   Replies: 7
Last Post: Dec 29, 2011 9:32pm
by Sasha
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Free Forum powered by Bravenet