school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
j
Jane
home tuition
Hi This is the first time I have used one of these sites - my 15 year old son has been refusing to go to school for the last 2 years and now that GCSE's are looming I fear for his education. How did you go about arranging home tutoring?
Views: 233   Replies: 10
Last Post: Nov 7, 2011 5:31pm
by Andrea
s
Sar
First Day Back After the Holiday !!
Well first day of tutoring after the half term break and my son is sick. I couldn't believe it after having nearly 2 weeks off and being absolutley fine. I feel awful as i didn't have too much sympathy as i know how it looks as i phoned to say he wasn't well. Ever...
Views: 135   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 2, 2011 10:31pm
by jennifer
s
Simon
College refusal, anyone?
Not feeling at all positive today. My daughter got herself onto the train yesterday, but came off again and then home. Lunchtime today and she is still in bed. Couldn't get her to the doctor, who is trying to get her an appointment with a psychologist (8 - 12 m...
Views: 167   Replies: 12
Last Post: Oct 31, 2011 10:53am
by Sar
d
Dani
where else to turn?
Hi I am just wondering if there are any other avenues left for me to explore! My son (14) is having counselling and has seen the GP several times now. His school is aware of his extreme anxiety but take the attitude that he has to go so tough! I have told the GP and...
Views: 124   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 27, 2011 7:14pm
by Andrea
a
Andrea
Education Legislation - Fighting for a Child's Right to an Education
In Scotland, all children who cannot attend school due to illness are entitled to a suitable alternative education elsewhere than in an educational establishment - which in practice means in hospital or at home. In many areas of Scotland, local authorities are meetin...
Views: 232   Replies: 10
Last Post: Oct 26, 2011 9:48am
by Sar
s
Sarah
Frustrated !!
Hi - Apologies but i need a rant. All has been going well, but found out today that M won't be entered for any GCSE's !! He was due to do several and has been working very hard with his tutor but informed this morning that they hadn't entered him for any next year,...
Views: 162   Replies: 11
Last Post: Oct 25, 2011 3:17pm
by Sar
f
flash
school are now refusing DS
4 weeks and 2 days into DS refusing school. today the head (who is also my boss) has unofficially told me they dont want him back. todAY also the EWO referral is being submitted. she advised we hold them of by saying we have a TAC meeting in Nov (which we have,though...
Views: 168   Replies: 7
Last Post: Oct 24, 2011 10:55pm
by Sar
x
Hi Guys just to let you know that I'm still around and do think about you all often, things haven't moved very far here, but still hanging in there. Take care Dorothy x
Views: 104   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 24, 2011 10:41pm
by Sar
oh help
boy do i know its school tomorrow, angry, upset shouting not wanting to go to bed ,bad stomach. says she is scared about school but when i ask her why she just doesnt know . shes crying anything i say or do doesnt make any difference. if only school could see her now...
Views: 218   Replies: 14
Last Post: Oct 23, 2011 9:27pm
by Linda
d
Dani
advice needed please!
Hi, my son is 14 and has been struggling to attend school for over a year now. Last year he had lots of odd days off with minor illnesses. Since starting Year 10 in September things have really come to a head and his attendance is around 50% according to the school....
Views: 141   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 16, 2011 9:34pm
by Linda
scottish education law - something that may be helpful
I have had a good converstaion with the education department in the Govan LAW Centre - this is free advice and very very good on their advice I have put in an aplication for an independent adudication as my daughter is still being threatened to loose her place in eh...
Views: 138   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 16, 2011 9:27pm
by Linda
s
Sarah
In at the deep end
Took my son to his film course yesterday and was greeted by the teacher saying that they may be having a few extra pupils on the course so my son's one to one might be in a group. My initial reaction was to panic, but no after thinking about it i think it is time he...
Views: 179   Replies: 9
Last Post: Oct 15, 2011 9:46pm
by Linda
just to say
hi everyone its good to know that there are other people who understand what its like, its not easy. my daughter went through a stage of not going out and not caring about how she looked. things are a bit better now but we still have bad days i think we just need to...
Views: 120   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 15, 2011 9:43pm
by Linda
l
Linda
Transition to secondary
Hi everyone, I spoke to the Student Welfare Coordinator at the school my son will attend next year and am feeling a bit better about the situation. She explained that she already was working with 4 SR students and one was not attending at all at the moment. She wo...
Views: 137   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 15, 2011 12:28pm
by Sarah
school refusal
just found your website after reading about it in magazine earlier this week, i just wanted to say thankyou i now know that i am not the only parent going through this my daughter has been struggling with school for the past two years. i find all the school and teach...
Views: 234   Replies: 13
Last Post: Oct 13, 2011 9:23pm
by jennifer
l
Lisa
Do I keep trying?
I'm feeling a little out of my depth - any advice greatly recieved on what to do each morning? Do I keep trying? Each morning is a new day - but what do i do? Its only been a week but do I keep trying to get my daughter to go to school, with all the emotional upse...
Views: 240   Replies: 18
Last Post: Oct 13, 2011 9:20pm
by Linda
n
nicky
SCHOOL REFUSER
Hi, My son is 11 yrs old and is now a school refuser. We've had lots of problems over the last two years which started in his primary school, he became very aggressive, controlling of me and his little sister, had fights at schools etc. On one of many occasions the p...
Views: 158   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 11, 2011 9:27pm
by Linda
l
Linda
Just to share
Hi all, I just wanted to share this morning. Our new term started today and I thought things were going to go backwards after my son could not get to sleep last night. He started to get depressed two days ago and also started talking negative feelings about how...
Views: 134   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 10, 2011 9:52pm
by Linda
f
flash
what to expect from LEA
our son has aspergers syndrom and finds school very stressful to the point that although compliant and showing happy face at school, at home he is violent and is now self harmimg. he is 9. he has been refusing school now for 2 weeks and we have already seen an impro...
Views: 186   Replies: 8
Last Post: Oct 10, 2011 10:52am
by Linda
l
lindy
e.w.o.
Is it better to try and speak with the E.W.O first or wait for them to make contact? Lindy
Views: 151   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 8, 2011 10:45am
by Sarah
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Free Forum powered by Bravenet