school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
s
Sue
Another new one!
Hi, I have a 12 year old daughter who is refusing to go to school. As her primary school teachers now testify - she never really liked school. However, I never had problems making her attend primary school, she had friends and she looks back at it with fond memories...
Views: 167   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 20, 2012 9:55pm
by Sarah
s
Sarah
New Parents to the site
It saddens me to see so many new SR parents on the site - don't get me wrong you are all more than welcome but it shows a total lack of understanding of the problem by the professionals. Our children do not want to be like this - they are not truants but children s...
Views: 151   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 18, 2012 8:42pm
by ST
l
Linda
Eating problems and anxiety
HI everyone, I just wondered whether anyone else out there had had some difficulty getting their son/daughter to eat when they are suffering anxiety? Whilst my son is tackling the School Refusal bit and going (just couldn't face one day last week) - he just isn't ea...
Views: 140   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 17, 2012 7:25pm
by Linda
l
Linda
Article in Australian paper on SR
Hi everyone, Here is the link to the article in The Age today. Whilst it is good it covers how SR is - she missed out all the steps to get help that I gave (I guess I am not an expert so they have to be careful?). I also gave the link to this forum but they didn...
Views: 142   Replies: 7
Last Post: Feb 17, 2012 9:56am
by Linda
p
Paula
Terrible Week!
Another terrible week. My daughter only managed to go in to school for one hour today and not at all for the rest of the week. She came home angry and upset as said she didn't have a good experience. She has been hostile ever since, won't talk to me and refusing to e...
Views: 156   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 11, 2012 8:07pm
by Linda
t
Tracey
First CAMHS meeting - what to expect?
Finally CAMHS will be seeing my daughter next week. We were referred by the GP and school, but heard nothing for ages. It appears that they were trying to contact me by phone, but had the wrong number! They could have written to me instead! Anyway, I am not too sure...
Views: 136   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 11, 2012 8:01pm
by Linda
s
Sarah
forum for SR children to use
Just wondered if anyone knew if there was any forums llike this but for the teenagers themselves to use? Sarah H
Views: 135   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 10, 2012 8:02pm
by Tracey
y
Yael
Possible solution
I don't want to speak to soon and get my expectations up but I came across what I think could be of help. I'm in Israel - but there might be similar places like this in other countries. It's called "smartcenter" and it's an afternoon learning center for anyone (kids...
Views: 140   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 10, 2012 2:44am
by Linda
p
Page
New to this
So glad to have found this site. My daughter has refused to go to school for several months. Initially started when she missed alot of school due to a sinus infection back in Aug/ Sept. Barely scraped by that semester . We had to drag her to school. She tried t...
Views: 197   Replies: 12
Last Post: Feb 8, 2012 3:54pm
by Page
s
Sarah
Just revising
Well we are sitting here having finished our revision for my son's exam at school tomorrow - one vey proud mother. Sarah
Views: 181   Replies: 16
Last Post: Feb 7, 2012 8:18am
by Sophy
p
Paul
Veering between angry and sad
24 hours ago I didn't know this forum existed, nor did I know there was a condition called school refusal. I've spent a lot of time reading through other people's posts and while there is a great deal of consolation in hearing that you are not the only person in thi...
Views: 98   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 6, 2012 11:37pm
by Linda
c
clare
I was a school refuser, now I am 32
Hi, I am 32 now but at 12 was developed 'school phobia'. Today I have found out that it is no longer called that, this I am happy about. I have also found out that so much more is known about school refusal and so much more support is out there, than when I was a kid...
Views: 286   Replies: 20
Last Post: Feb 6, 2012 10:26pm
by Linda
update
after a rather difficult few weeks with intensive CAMHS , things got much wrse and now we re waiting for the arrangements to be put in place and my DD admitted for a few weeks assessment and treatment to the adolescent psyciatric inpatient unit there was a huge meet...
Views: 138   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 4, 2012 11:14am
by dorothy
s
Sarah
Help needed - new to all this
I posted this on the metal well being forum but I think it may be better on this one. Hi I am new here and just wanted to ask those of who have experience what help I should be asking for or expecting for my son. Back in June my 13 year old son had a minor head inj...
Views: 172   Replies: 11
Last Post: Feb 3, 2012 8:11pm
by Linda
l
Linda
Second day of school
Hi all, Well - it is the second day of high school and the anxiety kicked in. I am very proud of my son as he did make it today but was frozen with anxiety. He couldn't think straight, was worked up about a couple of hitches that happened yesterday. He will usual...
Views: 102   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 3, 2012 7:46pm
by Linda
l
Linda
First day of secondary school
Hi everyone, I just had to share how proud I am of my son today. It was his first day of high school. He felt ill but got ready and we headed off to meet a couple of other boys and we walked all the way there (I am very puffed out!). A couple of the other mums sai...
Views: 95   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 3, 2012 7:41pm
by Linda
d
David
Discipline
Hi all, Very interested to find this site We have a SR, aged 16. Was very well behaved, now we have a pretty full list of difficulties: self-harm, school refusal, notes about suicide, friend troubles (it's amazing how often it seems to start with one special frie...
Views: 180   Replies: 8
Last Post: Feb 1, 2012 10:55pm
by Campbell family
s
Sarah
Another blow
Well, i thought things were getting easier, just a little, but today is going to be hard. My son absolutley and utterly loves animals and we have a variety of cats, hamsters and rats - yes right Dr Doolittle at our house. He cares so much for them, and the rats are...
Views: 112   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 30, 2012 9:48pm
by Sarah
t
Tracey
My beautiful talented SR daughter.
My daughter is in year 11. As of three weeks ago she has been refusing to go to school. First week back at school after the xmas holidays were fine and 100% attendance, then Sunday came around and we had her crying at midnight saying that she cannot face going back t...
Views: 147   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 30, 2012 8:25pm
by Linda
h
Helen
Jenn Ashworth's article, posted on the blog, is a must-read!!
I really enjoyed the article posted by Simon on the blog!! I have been away from the forum for some time now as things have somewhat settled down in my household. I discovered this forum two years ago when my son, at age 16, had a nervous breakdown of sorts and sto...
Views: 143   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 28, 2012 7:55am
by Linda
18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Free Forum powered by Bravenet